Sunday 13 December 2020

Warmaster Interlude - Taking on the Old World Army Challenge





So the phone rings and it's God.

"Do you fancy taking on the Old World Army Challenge? Starts January. Just paint a million points a month and after six months you'll have 1,500 points or something."

It had been a while since I'd spoken to God. I have the same "I talk to God but the sky is empty" relationship with him that Sylvia Plath did. 

But at the same time I recognised that my production output this year hasn't been great. Not with miniatures, comic art, other art nor Blogs. Sure I've got stuff done, but not to the extent I should have done with so much time on my hands.


Sergeant Borri McKokkinner and the Longpoles (Top) and Thorgrimm Rockschafft and the Big Swingers Bottom) - both - sort of - completed during lockdown.

Blog-wise I was determined not to post again until my Warmaster batrep was fully written up. Truth be told I got fed up with making changes to my battlemap turn by turn. I'll finish it I promise. But here I am deliberating over something else.

It was clear when I had to build a six or seven hundred miniature Celtic army for a Warmaster Ancients tournament in January at the Bad Moon Cafe (whoah...remember being in a games café with actual humans, ale and pizza?) that I worked pretty quickly under pressure and when I had an actual non-negotiable deadline to work towards.

So I reverse the charges and call God back. "Sure I'll do it, what's that? You want me to paint a prize too? OK...I'll do that, just make something good happen...hello? Hello? Just make something good happen...hello?...."...*click*

There was no real need to do an Oldhammer stock-take. I've just got dwarfs. So I can paint dwarfs in 28mm or 10mm, and God says 10mm don't count. So I've dug through the tubs and pulled out a few units.

I've got a few units I need to finish off, namely a Bugmans unit that I've only done three of the heroes and the cart for, plus a unit of crossbows that need ten additional chaps. I guess to a small extent that's cheating. But then - after 2020 - I'm not sure God is one to talk about cheating the human race. Pull your finger out in 2021 magical sky daddy.


Four Bugman's Rangers and the beer cart completed. Jorri and another 20 or so Rangers to complete (Top); to bring them up to twenty crossbows I have another ten "puff and slash" crossbows to add to Sven Surebolt's Flash Harrys. 


So let's get to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment