Thursday 4 May 2023

The Blood on the Snow Project - Gorrin Carak's Dwarf Detatchment

The Dwarven Throng Marches to War
(Mixed media, A5 size - for sale) 


Gorrin Crazak gazed into the murky depths of his breakfast ale. In the small underground chamber the candlelight danced up and down the walls and across Crazak's glazed eyes.

"What do you see my Lord? In the dark, depths of your ale?"

In bedraggled clothes and tangled beard, the ancient dwarf wizard, Zagaz Gorm-Trommchuf was the only other dwarf in the room.

"I see dwarf heads. Bloodied and frozen on the spikes of a dwarf outpost." Crazak did not look up.

"It is the walls of our outpost on Dog Peak Pass my Lord. The outpost has fallen to the hated Greenskins." 

"And Dark Waters..."

"It is the Troutbeck creek on the banks of which the outpost stood".

Crazak leaned back in his ancient carved chair and stared into Zagaz's time-worn eyes with a squint.

"Winter has come. Need we wait for spring?"

"My Lord - we are Norse Dwarfs, used to fighting in the snow. The garrison of the outpost were Norse dwarfs of our kin. We must attack now and recover the outpost. The hated Grobbi will not expect a winter fight."

At that moment the door creaked open and a snow-covered dwarf entered the room.

"Apologies my Lord. I thought you would want to hear my report as soon as my scouting party returned".

"What news Captain Baragor?"

Baragor quickly recounted his Mountaineer scouting party's  findings. Confirming Crazak's vision in the ale. The Dog Peak outpost had indeed fallen to Greenskins, and Dwarven corpses adorned the battlements.

"Get some rest today Captain. We shall set out towards the Dog Peak Pass in the night - and I shall need your scouts" Baragor bowed and backed towards the door.

"My Lord. We should arrive at the pass in two to three days - depending on the weather."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking on a painting challenge in my condition? Yeah why not.

The Scenario "Blood on the Snow" appeared in White Dwarf #91. And I've always wanted to play it. I'll talk about the scenario later in another post. But basically two detachments of "goodies", a Pilgrim army marching on a cave of Sigmar to free the shrine from Goblins and a Dwarf Clan marching to regain their outpost.

Firstly my Middlehammer Tale challenge ( A Middlehammer Tale – The Narrative Army Builder ) will start with the Dwarfs.

20 Norse Dwarf Warriors with hand-weapons and shields

20 Imperial Dwarf Crossbow allies

10 Norse Dwarf Warriors with spears and shields

Possibly 10 Slayers/Beserkers

8   Mountaineer Scouts

Gorrin Carak - Norse Dwarf Minor Hero

Zagaz Gorm-Trommchuf - Ancient Dwarf Wizard.

I'm doing lots of artwork for the project too. Which is a lot to do. But I'll speak to you soon. Health allowing. Photos of (most of) the bare metal or primed minis below.

Cheers,

Street

 







3 comments: