Thursday 8 November 2018

Lost Dogs - Warning, this interlude may contain traces of plastic.

It just so happens that the other day I was smiling to myself that my youthful attempt at painting an ogre was on Stuff of Legends alongside some much better ogres painted by buddy Darkblade.

As I mentioned in a previous post, a few years ago I decided to sell off most of my (non-dwarf) collection of Oldhammer goodness. I had a rifle through some old, backed-up files on a hard-drive and found some of the pics I used to sell some items on Ebay.

It was kind of nice to look at these and had a little "seller's regret" - I make myself feel better by hoping that these guys have found an owner that games them more than I used to, even if they are stripped now. Maybe someone that owns one of these models is reading this or is on the Oldhammer group!

Five "Brets" - by Essex Miniatures

These were a combined effort between me and the old man. He used to own a beautiful medieval army by Essex which has "disappeared" - which probably means they've been thrown away to make room for more model trains. I found these guys which he'd done in enamels and rebased them and highlighted with acrylics. I think they came out ok. Dad free-handed all the heraldry around 30 years ago.


 



Dad was decent at doing the patterns and spirals on the lances. Was never good at that myself!

Another Bret, this time a Citadel one! I must have painted this around 20 years ago as I recognise the Humbrol colours!



Some wardancers, again painted probably 20-years ago from the Humbrol colours.



 This ogre is one I wished I hadn't sold. Lovely Jes Goodwin sculpt and I was quite happy with the paint job. Paint was touched-up a little before I sold him.



"Maggott from Ruglud's Armoured Orcs (The Spike Can Commandos). Not sure why but I painted this regiment in "Orc brown". Was quite refreshing to have a yellow/brown orc, but I suspect he's been repainted now wherever he and his comrades are now!


Not my finest moment but a nice, green Zoat! I know from experience that this has been washed with Windsor and Newton ink. Either the one with the apple or the frog on the bottle! The metallic paint on the axe is the absolutely dreadful original Citadel "Chainmail". I often think that people that reminisce  fondly about the original Citadel paint just don't remember how awful it was.



Ridiculously I gave away a crate of RT stuff to a friend for his gaming club. I didn't paint many Marines, Guard, Eldar or Space Orks - and here is the only one I have a photo of (I think).



I had a lot of dwarf pike dudes, so I sold these six. Complete with obligatory late 80s Streety STAREY eyes.


A frankly dreadful Skarloc. Possibly the first miniature I did in Citadel paints with an old fashioned miliput base!


PLASTIC WARNING:

I didn't ask for it but after I gave a shit-load of RT stuff to my friend they gave me the contents of two boxes of one the newer WFB box sets (Battle of Skull Pass maybe??)

Plastic is for the most part no good to me so I sold it on. However I did paint and sell this as I had a plastic base that it fitted on OK. It was fairly good practice for painting models with little detail on, and no...there really was no getting rid of those mould lines.





What No ACW?
Don't be silly. Amongst the lost dogs I found these pics of my first ever wargames soldiers. Tabletop Miniatures now available from Alternative Armies

They have that old Minifigs old-fashioned style and these will always have a special place in my old wargaming heart!




 Well a fairly self-indulgent trip down memory lane. Thanks for putting up with it. Back to the dwarf army in the next post I promise.

"I have been chosen! Farewell my friends, I go on to a better place!"











5 comments:

  1. That's awesome, the knights look great and I love the space marine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I knew where they are now!

      One advantage of the enamels on those knights is that the paint is hardy as fuck. You need a scalpel to chip the paint!

      Delete
  2. Aww - that's bought a little tear to my eye. Let's hope the little fella's have gone on to good homes - especially dear little Maggot.

    I'm sure I've got folders of old ebay purchases too but I reckon my seller's regret would even beat any self-respecting catholic's sense of regret hands down so I don't think I'll be perusing them - not until I dig out my hair shirt and scourge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Essex has so many cool lines. I need to do an army from them. Sellers regret is the worst. I’m still sad my dad sold his 15mm Naps, I loved looking at that army as a kid. Good thing we still have all our acw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 28mm lines can certainly be hit and miss but the dark age stuff and medieval lines are great. Plus all the equipment and weapons etc. And various Bob Olley early sculpts lurk amongst their fantasy lines. Not to everybody's taste but they have a charm of their own.

      Argh it would be awful to have got rid of them Naps. Essex 15mm are great models. Somewhere I have a set of conversion rules to play Napoleonics F&F at brigade level.

      Delete