Friday 17 November 2023

Blood on the Snow - The Story so Far...

Blood on the Snow - The Story so Far...

 



It's time to go back, back, back...

It's July 1987, June 1987 was my first White Dwarf (#90). 

July 1987 (#91) - with its beatiful Chris Achilleos used on the cover of Blood royale may well have been the first one I obessed over.

My dad bought it for me from the much missed Harrow Model Shop.

Hidden away on page 70 was a 2nd edition Warhammer Fantasy Battle Scenario, "Blood on the Snow" - written by Matt Connell, and illustrated by Nick Williams.




For me - I owned this slightly before I owned Orc's Drift and The Lichemaster - and as such is a battle I've always wanted to play.

With the best Oldhammerers on the Chaos Gods' good Earth.

Of course - being me, my bizarre mix of ADHD and OCD - I don't want miniatures with grassy, meadow bases prancing around on my snowy battlefield.

This may mean (with a little/lot of help from the best friends in the world) - completely painting all 4 detachments.

That's Dwarfs, Humans, Orcs and Goblins. I've posted a handful of Norse dwarfs already. So here are a few hoomies.

I'm working on goblins and more dwarfs and humans as we speak - in between art commissions.

You can stay tuned for how the game will work, as well as updates about the Oldhammer style scenario book which will be professionally printed and given to anyone foolish enought to join me in this game at BOYL 2024.

Let's look at toy soldiers...


First 5 of 12 Plate Armoured Knights









These are "unforgiving close-ups" but all are ex-Citadel miniatures now available from Wargames Foundry. The metallics are from the Scalcolour SC75 "Metal and Alchemy" range. Definitely recommended. And the matt black will (as Darkblade once told me) - "Change your life".


A couple of Infantry Footsloggers
 

So - I have more of the hoomies from other units painted too. But I haven't "snowed the bases" yet - which means they are not ready for blogging yet.




Shields are an old Citadel metal, and a plastic (gobbo?) one from Marauder.

Stay tuned for more custom artwork for the scenario book and painted models.

Much Oldhammer love to both of my readers. Good luck tomorrow mum x

A WIP of the Scenario Book cover art you say? Oh go on then...


6 comments:

  1. Street, I get the feeling this is going to be fantastic. Those dwarves were great by themselves. This? This is even better. And knowing that this is all Foundry stuff that's available now? I do not need another miniature collection. I do not need another miniature collection. I do not need . . . you get the idea. ;-) You are trying to get me in so much trouble! :D Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent!! I can't wait to see this develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd really like one or more of your classic Oldhammer style minis catalogue pages for the scenario book. Free advert for you - better look and feel for my book. Happy to discuss.

      Delete
  3. My own Oldhammer project running theme is centered on creating authentic Oldhammer models that fill in "gaps" in the actual vintage releases. I'm just looking for things to focus on to sculpt towards, and BOTS always looked tempting. What do we think of creating Heistenburger, Crazak, Gruzk, and Bogrot? Maybe even BOTS regiment sets? What's your own project timeline?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh...these are cracking. Have you sourced the wolf riders yet?

    ReplyDelete